Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Operation Broccoli

***I found this unposted blogpost in a folder on my laptop from November 2012***

Ok, so I’m not a huge fan of broccoli. I like it cooked in a stir fry, with rice and some kind of sauce. Or slathered with cheese sauce. Who doesn’t? But BB told me that he chatted with a food scientist over drinks the other day and learned some really interesting things about broccoli. That by upping your intake to just 3 servings a week, for instance, greatly enhances your chances (that rhymes) at warding off all sorts of cancers and stuff. Hmm. Really? Why can’t that be spinach? Because I LOVE spinach. Whatevs. So anyway, I decided to try and find more information about this, so I “search engined*” benefits of broccoli and found all sorts of interesting things:

About the stuff in broccoli: “And in 2010, researchers from the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center published a study in the journal Clinical Cancer Research showing that sulforaphane was able to kill breast cancer stem cells in mice and in lab cultures, and also prevented new tumor cells from growing. “ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/29/broccoli-cancer-sulforaphane_n_1310634.html

Sulforaphane rocks.

Here are some more links:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/juliewilcox/2012/07/01/health-benefits-of-broccoli/2/

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2356/2 (although how is broccoli not in the far left corner of this triangle? That's a bit infuriating, nutritionally speaking.)

Here's another post I wrote on broccoli last year. I'm going to make soup for tomorrow with broccoli in it. Broccoli and cabbage.

No comments: