Tuesday, January 3, 2012

NYD5K 2012 Race Report - 1/1/12

So I kicked off the New Year with the 27th Annual running of the NYD5K (New Year's Day 5K) in the southern end of Chicago's fabulous lake-hugging Lincoln Park. A few months ago this seemed like a great idea, and a decent goal as I finally felt like running again. Until my treadmill running ground to a screeching halt at the beginning of December as once again, work/life took over and my treadmill routine cried "Uncle!!!"

But hey, it's just 3.1 miles, and my isn't the weather mild? 40's in December? Yeah. Mild until NYD, when the temperature was in the low 30's with sustained winds of 20-30mph. SUSTAINED, not gusts.

But hey, it's just 3.1 miles. And so I run/walked it. Or should I say walked/run. Seemed like more walking. Looked back once and then realized two things: #1 For what? Are you competing? and #2 You've never EVER been last before. You won't be today.

And so that's it. No beating myself up. Eh. But I DID make it to the gym the following day.

Onward.

Oh, and I tried out my new Garmin Forerunner that Santa (read: ME) got me for Christmas. Hmmm, I suppose I should do more to read the directions and learn it before trying that again. I did somehow manage to get it going, and have cool maps and graphs, but I just don't quite know yet how to copy them and show YOU the funky pics. And I figure given this "performance" and that it's only a 5K, it's probably not especially interesting anyway. Next time!

5K
42:44
13:47 pace :-/

1 comment:

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

I'm just proud of you for completing a race so soon! Give yourself more credit.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

I have a question for you. How were you able to transition, the kids to vegetarian/vegans. I have 3 that I want to transition, but it sounds easier said then done!