Sunday, April 10, 2011

Shamrock Shuffle 8k - A Race Report

Really? So I've been running in 30 and 40 degree weather when running outside...and for ONE day, it decides to get warm and HELLA humid out? This is SO like Chicago. I woke up Sunday morning, and for once, the weathermen/women were right. It was unseasonably warm and humid.

I wasn't worried, I guess I thought "It's just 5 miles, I'll be fine." But apparently even with a shorter run, my body will NOT readjust for humidity. I mean, I suppose if it weren't my first humid run of the season. I'm trying not to beat myself up about it...

1:04:51. I'm pretty sure that's my WORST Shamrock Shuffle to date. I could easily look down the list of past races over on the right side of my blog, but I just don't have the heart to--just yet.

Mile 1 "I'm running too fast, I'm running too fast I'm running too fast! I'm warm. Where or where are my running shorts." Mental note: find shorts TO. DAY. THIS. AFTERNOON. Mile 1 done at 10:25, according to my timer. Not good.

Mile 2 Somewhere between Mile 1 and Mile 2 I had my first walking break. This is when mentally it all went downhill. "I suck. I should just quit." Walked again at the aid station. Lame. But that Gatorade was tasty. Mile 2 done, somehow miraculously at 24:00. (Hindsight: must have been running too fast still, when I was actually running.)

Mile 3 &%*$!!! This friggin sun! "I won't walk again until the next aid station." Lie! Walked some more. Mile 3 done just under 38:00. Then the wheels fell off.

Mile 4
"I'll just run when I can." This is when I became ashamed of myself. And got a text from my friend who said she was done. Damn. Mile 4 done at around 51:00. Walked for a good long while after Mile 4, because "I WILL RUN UP THAT HILL ON ROOSEVELT IF IT'S THE LAST THING I DO."

The last .97 miles of the 8K was more of the rest.

I'd hoped to have an awesome race report. I'd hoped to feel proud, excited and ready for the race season. But now I'm just feeling doubtful. Wondering if I'll ever get better. I"m sure this will pass. I'm aiming for a great long run later this week.

So....sorry to be a downer. Thanks for reading/listening.

No comments: