Tuesday, July 1, 2014

what are your favorite running mantras?

I use running mantras to keep myself going sometimes. They're little reminders of bigger concepts. And when my brain is fried with "runner's brain*," sometimes it's all I can do to remember these phrases.

My faves:
One foot in front of the other.
My longest "running" one I've used for quite some time now has been "one foot in front of the other." I'm not sure where I got it from, other than I vaguely recall saying it in my first pace group that I ran with in 2007. We'd do an answer and call thing and take turns leading it. I remember saying "how are we gonna do it? One foot in front of the other!" I've always used that ever since. When a run or distance seems impossible, I just remember that it's about putting onE foot in front of the other. It's that simple. Sidebar: when BB came to cheer me on at the 2012 marathon, he unzipped his coat and revealed his shirt that said that! And he'd had a shirt made for me, too.

Respect the distance. Any run can be a hard one. Focus on each run and respect it for what it is, whether it's 3 miles or 23 miles. Respect each long distance run, especially. Sleep well, eat right, and give it the respect and full attention it deserves.

Cover the distance.
A new one this year for me. Don't cheat yourself at the end of a run by skimping out on your planned-on miles. Whatever you do, do the miles you set out to do.

If it doesn't challenge you it doesn't change you.
My newest mantra. Marathon training isn't always gonna be easy, and it's not supposed to be. To grow and become a better runner, you have to put in the work.

Do any of you have some running mantras that you can share? I don't think you can have too many. Well...you probably could, but I'm in no danger of overflow. Please share if you are so inclined!

*runner's brain is that point in the run when you're tired to the point where simple math to determine pace or finish time becomes difficult, and you lack the ability to think rationally. Most typically occurs in double digit runs, but has been known to appear in shorter runs if conditions are right. (Weather; tired; etc)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: