Friday, January 3, 2014

Door #1, #2 or #3?

Wasn't that game show "let's make a deal" the one where you got to choose one door and you got whatever was behind that door? Too young to know what I'm talking about? Well aren't you a young whipper snapper?!

So I did 4 miles yesterday and 4 miles today. Before we get all excited and say look what bad chick the new year brought in, yesterday was all walking, and today was 2 miles of running, then walking. But anyway. I ran another 1.75 miles earlier this week, and last week when I aimed to do at least 2.5....................I ended up at 2.0. What's with the being stuck at 2 miles?

And yes I could stop and walk, then run some more, but I don't want to kid myself about what I can and can't run straight through. I once spent a whole summer of stop/start running and my races all showed a pace slower than what I'd wanted...why? Because it was exactly how I'd trained. Running 11.5 to 12 minute miles plus walking a bit does NOT equal a 12:00 minutes per mile pace. And miracles don't really happen on race day.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's to be true to yourself, don't lie to yourself in training because the truth will eventually come out on that course.

So this brings me to my question. Does the answer to my recent training issues lie behind Door #1, #2 or #3?

Door #1: Mental Barrier (get outta your head, girl!)

Door #2: Out of Shape (you've been here before. 2 miles is a struggle and then suddenly one day a month later, everything kicks in. Calm down, girl!)

Door #3: Your body is trying to tell you something. (You don't like running at this weight. You need the proper fuel/support.)

I suppose it's all 3?

I won't get discouraged. I HAVE been here before. Weak right knee (I feel you over there!), vice-grip lungs be damned...I'll be back.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: