Thursday, October 31, 2013

first run in awhile

Two weeks ago (Tuesday 10/15) I fell down the back stairs in my building. I was carrying a big box full of cookies to deliver, skipped a step in the awkward turn, and very quickly landed on my arm and shoulder in the doorway of my laundry room. I remember thinking "my ankle shouldn't bend like that," and "is it going to break?"

I didn't drop one cookie nor did I hurt anything but my ankle. I limped away and delivered my cookies, all the while feeling everything kinda swell up in my shoe. Here's my fat ankle and ice pack (yes it's fat here, I have fairly small ankles normally):







Here's it is after 5 days, bruising in full effect:






But finally after RICEing it up as much as possible, the swelling has pretty much gone down. I figured I would try a short 1/4 mile run on the treadmill to see how it felt, but the weather was so mild I decided to try a run outside. I ended up going a mile, with the only complaint being stiffness in my foot. And lead legs due to complete lower body inaction other than a swim I took on Monday.

Yay.

And then tonight I registered for next May's Soldier Field 10 Mile, to get the $25 discount before it's gone.

And per my previous marathon post, I will "stop not training." I'm not even worried about it.

p.s. I should add that I came home and iced my ankle for awhile and then fell asleep for hours, which is by I'm up at 1-something now. Ugh, I'll pay for this later, no doubt.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: