Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Run with a View: Why I love (running in) Chicago

So I decided to show you all why I love running in Chicago and what makes running on the lakefront special, taking a cue from RBR (Stacey), whose camera is pretty much standard running gear for her. One of my favorite places to start my run from is 31st Street Beach, because although it's on the south side, it's not too far south, yet there aren't hundreds of runners and cyclists mowing people down...plus there is a beachhouse (with bathrooms), a playground (for the kids), a pier, etc... Oh. And free parking! ;) Here is the Beachhouse. Ahead on the lakefront path are two friendly walkers and a man lugging his fishing gear, clearly prepared for a full day of fishing. I would like my dad to come fish out here some day. I think he would enjoy it.

Once I head north from here, you can begin to see why I like this area. It's got some great views, and is close enough to downtown where you can really see a lot of the city. Up ahead you can see downtown in the distance, and McCormick Place, the country's largest conference center. This is where marathoners in October will pick up their marathon packets (and pay a fortune for parking.) The mile before you reach the backside of McCormick place is peaceful. In the mornings, the sun is coming up and there are some magnificent views, because when running north, the angle of the path is such that the sun is essentially over your right shoulder, and not smacking you in the face making you wonder why the heck you still refuse to wear sunscreen while running. Shortly before arriving at the 1 mile point, there is a bird sanctuary off to the left, and then the Chicago Fire Department's "Fallen Firemen and Paramedics Memorial Park." There are several of these boot/hat statues, two big stone CFD logo things, and lots of sitting places that face the lake. Very nice. I've never seen anyone there, though I do think I saw some sort of burial going on earlier this year, while driving along LSD (Lake Shore Drive.) But anyway, it's a nice way to remember those who have lost their lives while protecting others.


In this same area, there is a manmade waterfall "fountain" that is usually on in the summer, which is great when the slight breeze draws mists of water your way. I can always hear it about a 1/4 mile away, even with my ipod on, so I knew it wasn't on way before I got there. Leaving McCormick Place, Burnham Harbor is on the right, empty now, but in the summer, boats and yachts are docked there. Downtown still seems to be way off in the distance, but you're really not that far away now. Up next? Soldier Field, the Museum Campus and downtown Chicago!




Soldier Field is where our beloved Chicago Bears (da Bears) play. It may look like a spaceship has landed on some old greco-roman colonades to you. In Chicago, depending on where you stand in the issue, it's really is just the new architectural gem/blunder that the powers that be fought for/against a few years back. It is what it is. The original Soldier Field is a memorial to American soldiers who died at wars. The Soldier Field 10-Mile is held in May on the Saturday before Memorial Day. The highlight of the race is at the finish, when you enter through the stadium past the locker rooms (I think) and onto the field. It's really pretty cool. I did it last year, but I'm not doing it this year. Maybe next year?

After leaving Soldier Field and all its glory, you pass a memorial to fallen Chicago Police Officers. Right now, there is a detour that has been underway since last fall. Normally, you would run behind the Shedd Aquarium, but today I found myself running in front of it and along side the Field Museum where another runner with a REAL camera was taking pictures. I never noticed the statue on this side of the Aquarium, some dude (probably of some significance had I gone over to take a closer look) hugging/holding a fish.


Running around the bend....ahhhh! Runner's reward: downtown, in all it's architectural splendor! The picture on the right is Shedd Aquarium again, with Adler Planetarium in the background.


Grant Park is to your left, the scene of many exciting marathon finishes, and plenty of other races and events, too, like Taste of Chicago, Lollapalooza, Blues Fest, Jazz Fest, etc... One of my favorite places to visit is Buckingham Fountain. This is the view from the running path. Every 30 minutes, a big burst of water shoots about a hundred feet up into the air, at the delight of all the spectators. In the summer, you will find lots of young families, wedding parties and their photographers, and teenagers hanging out. There are lemonade stands and other vendors, but unforunately, public bathrooms are few and far between, as a then 3-year old Jada found out a few summers ago. :(


When you leave downtown, you might think that you've seen all there is to see, but that's not so. Up ahead there's this "underside" of the lakefront path. It's kinda lonely, Lake Shore Drive is separating from the path and heading up (bridge) and the path is positioned downward, closer to the lake. Here is a big yacht that always seems to be stationed as a reminder of the money you don't have...and probably won't have, LOL. Directly across the path from here is where the local Fleet Feet or sometimes CARA (Chicago Area Runners Association) set up aid stations for runners, just to be nice. To me, this site is the "Ghost of Runs Past," where runs seem to make or break me. It's where, in my 18-mile run with Meg, I had to stop and pray for strength. Or another time when Meg stopped to discuss with Coach Brendan about the cramp along the underside of her shoelaces. It's where we were turned away from idiot "Team in Training" Sponsors who refused to give us a sip of their Gatorade on a hot summer day when the other tables weren't set up "This is for OUR runners." Or the time there was just no one there. Lots of bad or shaky running memories lie here!

Leaving here, you approach the bridge, where Lake Shore Drive is directly overhead, and you are running along what I think is Wacker Drive. You are also on a bridge that spans over the Chicago River as it feeds into Lake Michigan. Although the bridge plays evil tricks on one's Garmin Forerunner (and I suspect all GPS devices), the views are pretty cool. This "luxury residential tower" is one I always call (to myself) the grand piano building because it sorta looks like that to me. I heard a rumor that Oprah has a place here, one of many. I have no idea if this is true. Situated directly across the street, eastwards, is Navy Pier. It's a major tourist trap, but it also houses the Chicago Children's Museum, where we plan to take the girls next week. Once you exit the bridge, the path splits northward or eastward, with the easterly direction taking you right in front of Navy Pier. (I always take that route, since that is the officially mile-marked pathway.)

Up next? Oak Street Beach and the Concrete Monster! This is where, to me, the lakefront becomes "the northside." See, to me, the lakefront is "the southside," "downtown," and "the northside." Maybe you could add "WAYYYY up north" as another segment. Approaching Oak Street Beach, there is another mile marker, which for me signaled 4.5 miles into my run, only 1 mile til turnaround, yipee! About 20 feet from this milemarker is a water fountain, where people and dogs lap water endlessly. Yes, I said dogs. And trust me, on the occasion that you are 12 miles into an 18 mile run and the sun is beating down on you mercilessly, you tend to relinquish some inhibitions. I mean it even sounds gross to me as I type it (shudder), but I've done it before and will no doubt do it again. To the left is a view from the water fountain, looking northward at what I call the "concrete monster." All concrete, sun beating down even on a nice 40 degree day like it was, smacking you in the face and rendering you useless if you aren't in the right state of mind. I must admit I had a real tough time. There were lots of runners and running groups out this day, including Chicago Endurance Sports, my former and soon-to-be training group again. I looked for Celia, but didn't see her, so I wasn't sure if these runners were training for the SF 10-Mile or a spring marathon. Anyway, I recognized a few people and even saw Coach Brendan. I smiled but I'm not sure if his nodding back was in recognition or one of politeness. To the right is the view at my 5.5 mile turnaround, with the Hancock Building looming overhead. (Wait a minute! Come to think of it, I think I've also heard Oprah owns a floor here, too. Who knows. Oprah is like the Queen of Chicago, so everyone secretly wants to know where she lives/dines/etc... )

At this point during the run, I really started to crack. The sun?! Why was it so mean to me and smacking me in the face? I started coughing again and felt like I was going to go all out into an asthma attack (I have exercise-induced asthma.) So much so that someone from CES stopped to ask if I was ok. (Awwww, thanks!) I got it together and soldiered on, taking a few more pictures for your benefit. Back downtown I noticed one of those cool solar trash cans, which under the power of the sun, compact the trash down so that much more trash can be shoved in. Pretty cool. Well...I saw one down in the subway tunnels though, and wondered how on earth it was going to work down there. A-duh.



Back downtown I really enjoyed the view of the Field Museum, so here it is... lovely, isn't it? The banners across the front are touting its Pirate exhibit. (Raising one eyebrow.) They really do have some fascinating exhibits, I need to get back there. I haven't been there since the Opening Reception of the American Planning Association in 2002. That's an annual conference I attend, work-related, and I will be headed to this year's conference in Minneapolis this weekend.


The last two miles of my run were difficult, but not as horrendous as it could have been. I walked a few times, no more than a minute at a time, sucking down what was left of my Gatorade and telling myself out loud "Just 1.5 more miles!" "Just 1 more mile!" That blessed 31st Street Beachhouse was a sight for sore eyes, and just like that, my run was over.


2:15:50, pace 12:21. That'll do.


I hope you enjoyed my run in pictures, and maybe you can see why I love running in Chicago!

4 comments:

IronWaddler said...

Great run with some beautiful photos.

mrjwhit~ said...

I am so glad to see you are a runner. It's been so long since we've talked. I will catch up via blog.

Aileen said...

Very nice! I never make it that far South (except for the 20 milers, and even then it's only till I hit Museum Campus) so thanks for the great pics. You should do running tours of Chicago!!!

Rachel said...

I love the pictures! They've made me even more excited about my races in Chicago.