Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Extreme cold + asthma = two metaphors

Ok so when I was a senior in high school and had this cold I couldn't shake (chronic bronchitis as it would turn out), I was also diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma. However, the "funny" thing is, my asthma is exacerbated by extreme conditions. In particular, extreme cold and extreme pollution. 

Sometime around 2000 I spiraled into a respiratory infection after a week's worth of running alongside the Westside Highway in NYC...only steroids could kick it, after 4 months of insanity.

Anyway...extreme cold can hit me funny too. Most often, I wake up in the middle of the night and it feels like an anvil is resting squarely on my chest. (Metaphor 1.)

Tonight--and admittedly, it's not THAT cold, the wind chill temp is around 6--but sometimes the cold air burrows in and suddenly I feel stiff, like someone has stabbed me through the back, speared my lung and is lifting me up, putting pressure on my lung. (Metaphor 2.) It's always the left lung. 

Strange descriptions, but it really describes the oddness of the feeling.

I'll be glad when it warms up a bit.




No comments: