Wednesday, December 25, 2013

The wallpaper

Until I was about 13, my bedroom remained the same. My earliest memories are when I shared it with my two younger brothers, and that at around age 7, it became all mine (yet another perk of bring the only girl.)

The wallpaper on one "accent" wall was so colorful. The background was a tannish color, the dots green, red, electric blue and yellow, outlined in white. The flowers were matching colors and dispersed amongst the dots.

I would drift off to sleep and wake up to those dots. I recall staring at it in the middle of the night--putting its patterns of dots, flowers and colors to memory. I would study the groupings of them and count the dots and flowers on various sections of the wall.

It never really occurred to me til recently that in high school and college, my random doodling of polka dots and flowers might possibly stem from staring at this wallpaper...and in the cookies I make, polka dots are a recurring design theme--and I get a bit OCD on every dot placement. "No!! That doesn't look right! There's no balance!"











Anyhoo...sometimes I still think about that ol wall in that nappy red-carpeted room (please forgive, it was the 70's) and it makes me feel at ease.

Especially in the middle of the night.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: