Wednesday, October 10, 2012

in hindsight

so a few days ago i was mad that i'd done so well with my training this year, but that it didn't translate to an awesome marathon. after a dismal beginning earlier this summer, each month my overall pace picked up, and the same with each weekend's long run. i had two consecutive half marathon PRs, and my 16, 18 and 20 mile training runs were all pretty solid with faster times than i've ever had before. i thought this meant a guaranteed GREAT race--even though there are never guarantees with the marathon.

but taking an honest look, i have always been severely lacking in two key areas of my training: strength/core training, and stretching. i'm a lazy stretcher. for strength training, i might start, but life gets in the way and it's the first thing to drop from my schedule.

training is more than just getting the runs in. and while i did that pretty well, there's definitely room for improvement and fine tuning.

and besides, i got it EASY. I heard one runner story about a man running who had recovered from a stroke--a dude like MY age...he had to re-learn how to walk. and another runner who just had a double masectomy in AUGUST. my problems are not even problems.

done sulking and moving forward in the continuous cycle of self-improvement.

No comments: