Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Day 1 training, 2012 season

So I christened today "Day 1" of my training. My first goal is to get to 6 miles for the start of marathon group training, which is the 2nd weekend in June. It's not inconceivable, it's not as if I've never run 6 miles before. But I've got work to do since I've basically not been doing a lot of running this year.

I kicked off today at the gym with some basic strength training (and I mean basic) And not finding a reason--work, cookies (business, in case you've forgotten), the girls, whatever My first priority for strength training is to get on the good foot with keeping my knee healthy, so I simply did legwork today reminiscent of the suggestions made by Athletico a few years ago when they informed me of my weak knee muscles and how to help keep them healthy by strengthening other muscles around it. So for this effort, I will continue to do the following: leg press (quads); calf raises; seated leg curls (back of the leg); leg extensions (quads/surrounding knee area).

Then I kicked it over to the treadmill and and committed to do a simple 1.5 mile run on the treadmill. Just 1.5. And that was that. And I felt fantastic afterwards! Up next: Friday, the same, and Saturday a "long" run...emphasis on longer than 1.5, but not necessarily long. LOL

************WAIT, wha?! You're running the marathon?

I never did make an announcement about running the marathon. So, I'm training for Chicago, my nemesis race. The date is October 7, which is the same date from my first ever attempt at the marathon. (If the link isn't working, scroll down to my race report down there on the right, 10/7/07). Those of you who've followed me since my meager beginnings will know this race has always f*cked with my psyche. Time to get over it already, right? And one of the best ways to do that is to run prepared...train methodically and properly, careful to not make excuses, etc.. I aim to get to marathon training at my lightest running weight since running my first ever races in the late 1990s and early 2000. And I'm running for a great charity, Girls in the Game, a group that provides afterschool/summer programming for school-age girls. You can check out my fundraising page if you're so inclined: http://www.active.com/donate/girlsinthegame2012/lindyland

************WAIT, didn't you just tweet about running NYC

Yes, I did! This was my second year in a row applying, and similarly, my second year in a row being denied. HA! They have a 3 times denied and you're in rule that they're phasing out, but I'm still good to go. So when I apply next year and presumably get denied, I will automatically get in for 2014. (or who knows, maybe I will get in next year, ya never know.) Some of you may recall that NYC is like a second home to me.

So, are we all caught up now? Hope so!

3 comments:

IronWaddler said...

GLad that you are back.

Anonymous said...

Hi David, I sent you an email, hope it didn't end up in spam or something. -Lindy

Anonymous said...

And my fellow waddler, glad you're back training/blogging too! -Lindy