Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Because why not one more blog post about Instant Pot?

So when my login actually works for Chicago Tribune online, I will occasionally actually READ stories beyond just the doom and gloom politics and crime stories--particularly in the food and dining section. Hot new restaurants/bars, the occasional recipe, the annual Christmas cookie competition, the top taco places (wayyy to many hipster locations), etc.

Back in November I came across a story about the Instant Pot craze. What initially intrigued me was an African-seasoned eggplant recipe (hook), but a link within the story led to another story about some chick who lost over 100 pounds in 1 year using her Instant Pot just about every day (line). I was a little let down by looking at her food log when she was weighing out 2 ounces of meat for some meals (sinker) and she lost all her weight without exercise (2nd sinker) (Search "food log" on her blog and read her entries for the 7 days...it's just not enough food for someone who is also pretty active. I've been down the starvation route before and don't want to do that again, plus I also don't want to compromise my athletic goals.) Ok, so THAT plan won't be for me unless I suddenly become incapacitated...but her recipes are pretty nice, focused on healthy, whole  and unprocessed foods.

I finally got my Instant Pot in mid-December, and broke it in since about the 20th. Here are the awesome recipes I've made to date, generally all pretty healthy:

Butternut Squash Soup
Pineapple Teriyaki Quinoa 
Chicken Tortilla Soup

Christmas Dinner
Turkey Breast
Mashed Potatoes **obviously not healthy**
Gravy **obviously totally not healthy** (I followed the gravy recipe on the same link as the turkey)

Split Pea Soup from a cookbook (with smoked turkey tails instead of hamhocks) **please note if I've ever written about hating peas, it's still true. I made this for someone who loves this soup** Even though I did try the Pineapple Teriyaki Quinoa recipe above with peas the first time.
Pineapple Teriyaki Quinoa, Take 2, with red peppers and broccoli instead (see link above)
Smoky Honey Cilantro Chicken (just finished and tasted it, going to eat for dinner in just a bit; in one bite I was instantly sure this will be made several times a month)

I'm pretty lazy in the kitchen plus I've also been known to buy a trendy small appliance and use it just a few times and be done. So for me to have made all this stuff in such a short amount of time is pretty spectacular. Every recipe has had lots of leftovers, which is great--I spend way too much money for lunch at work, so if I can look forward to packing my lunch (with a lunch that tastes great instead of boring), I'm all in.

Plus, the Instant Pot cooks stuff so quickly that it is easy to keep doing more recipes.

Anyway, I'm always late to the party and the Instant Pot party is no different, but I'm glad I arrived.

Carry on,
Lindy

No comments: