Friday, October 4, 2013

Movies

My little one (7) told me something that I've always sorta realized--that she doesn't enjoy going to the movies. And as I think back, it's true: multiple trips to the bathroom; I catch her looking all around but towards the screen, staring at people or the wall; more interested in movie candy.

At first I thought she was too young (back when she was 2 or 3.) Then I thought maybe it was the particular movie subject on different occasions.

But the other day when I mentioned going to see "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2" she admitted that she categorically does not like any movie theater.

Why?

"They're dirty, disgusting filthy places. I feel trapped. I just want to get out."

Why is she thinking about these things as a 7 year old? Are these the makings of an OCD person? (I mean, they're normal theaters, not anything out of the norm.) Did I create this monster by enforcing a strict policy of changing clothes after movies/riding public transit/etc because "we don't want to bring outside germs onto our furniture?" Maybe it's my fault.

Hmm, in the meantime I need to figure out what might make her feel better about going to the movies. Maybe a nice IMAX theater? Where it's extra clean AND will grab her attention right away. Or do we skip it all together?

Hmmm.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: